I hate it when Jon leaves on trips. Luckily it hasn't happened very often and then usually not for very long. However, I still hate it. I was particularly dreading this last trip as it would be the first time I was totally alone with Seth. Yes, it was just 3 days, but 3 days with a newborn can be exhausting.
To help time go by faster I made sure we had at least one thing to look forward to every day Jon was gone. On Tuesday we went to the hospital (to weigh Seth--not for an injury) and then shopping at Target. Wednesday was crazy busy: I planned on taking Seth to the playgroup at church, but he fell asleep and I wasn't waking him. Once he was up and fed, we went to Sommer's to drop off the maternity clothes I'd borrowed--and ended up staying for 5 hours or something ridiculous like that. Then we went to the library, then to Dawn's for dinner. I was secretly hoping that I would wear the kid out and get him to sleep well that night, but no such luck.
Thursday, however, was the real adventure. Before I give you the full story, please be so kind as to participate in this short quiz:
Q). What city has the second highest murder rate in the entire United States?
A). Baltimore, Maryland
Q). What were Megan, Seth & Sommer doing last Thursday night from 10 to 11 pm?
A). Wandering the streets of Baltimore by ourselves
Here's how it happened:Sommer's hubby acquired tickets to a Baltimore Raven's NFL game while I was at her house visiting. Sadly, he had a church meeting he couldn't get out of so Sommer invited me instead (the real irony being that Jon was the one who was supposed to be at that meeting, but he was obviously unable to attend).
I was excited, as I've never been to a pro football game before. Then I started getting nervous that Seth wouldn't cooperate--a totally unfounded fear as this kid is never unhappy. Eventually I just loaded up the diaper bag with necessities for all possible situations (including an extra blanket to cover his ears with if it got too loud) and headed to Sommer's.
After a delicious pizza dinner, Sommer & I headed down to Baltimore. We only got slightly lost once, thanks to the stupidity of East Coast exit/entrance ramps (oh, how I miss the efficiency of the freeways out West). As we were really late to the game--thanks to our children--we managed to find free parking at a church near the stadium. Well, sort of near. It would have been a lot closer if we'd actually walked directly toward the stadium instead of somehow circling around it and coming in from the other side...We showed up just in time for the 4th quarter. I figured Seth would knock himself out--noise usually lulls him to sleep. Instead, he spent the entire time staring over Sommer's shoulder at the flashing lights of the billboard screens. Yes, I know. Over-stimulating my child, blah, blah, blah... But he was really good. And he took a bottle (and by "took" I mean chugged it down like I was never going to feed him again).
Let me just say this: Ravens football has nothing on BYU football. This is possibly because I have a vested interest in BYU games, but I've always enjoyed college sports more than pro sports. In case you care, the Ravens lost 9-10.
Now the fun part. Since we managed to enter the stadium in such a roundabout way, we figured we'd just go out the opposite entrance, thus putting us closer to our car. We were feeling pretty sure of ourselves for about 10 minutes. That's when all the other people leaving the game had cleared out and we found ourselves on a dark, shady sidestreet with people eyeing us and cars full of guys yelling out their windows. At that point Sommer starting panicking and I started smiling at everyone we walked past, figuring they were less likely to rob/murder us if we looked like we knew what we were doing.
Luckily for us, Ben was home from his meeting at that point and acted as our GPS. Let's just say we were TOTALLY lost. Here's the map of our journey (stolen from Sommer's blog):
View Larger Map
'E' is our car
'B' is where we were when Sommer called Ben.
We're awesome
I got home just in time to feed Seth at midnight, put him to bed, and then be half asleep when Jon got home around 1:30 am. And no, Seth still didn't sleep longer than his 4.5 hour max. He also came down with a cold that weekend, which made me feel like a horrible mother.
To thank Ben for saving our lives (and because it was Sommer's birthday) I pulled out the cake decorating skills and went to work.
8 comments:
Such an adventurous night, how brave of you. :) Oh and have I mentioned how impressed I am with your cake skills? I'm very jealous...and hungry....
wow! what an adventure. . . I am glad seth is so good!
Megan, that was sooo fun to read and relive again! I will NEVER forget that as long as I live and how scared I was! You have such a fun way of writing, I loved the little quiz and witty humor you have, you crack me up! We are forever bonded by that experience! Holy Cow, that cake you made me is by far, and I'm so not just saying this, the number one best cake I have ever tasted in my life! I really am not exagerating in the least bit, holy cow Megan, you are my new hero. I ate most of it myself except for three slices which my sister and Ben had =) Thank you so much, I have to say that this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship between us =) Oh and I have to say too that I"m sooooo sorry that Seth got sick! Poor little guy! Ben is really excited about us hanging out more because he really likes Jon and wants to start having you guys over for dinners more. We havn't had dinner together since the cinco de mayo... that's just pathetic, and it's our turn to have you over too! Disgraceful! I'm dealing with very fussy sick kids this week, and then on Sunday I'm going to my nephews blessing and then leaving for the beach right after that till Thursday (man I hope the boys are better by Sunday) but lets try to get together next weekend if possible. I'll talk to you more about it later this is long enough. Love ya girl!
That cake looks kind of like your wedding cake! (Did I mention I found Sagers' pix from your wedding on my computer? She used to use my computer to upload and burn discs from!) Its gorgeous!
I cannot tell you how very excited I am of your kamikaze adventure! Woo! Good job. :)
How scary! I'm glad you didn't get murdered. You are so talented with cake decorating. You will have to teach me your secrets sometime.
What a crazy adventure--I'm glad you survived! (I especially loved your map charting how lost you got!) Seth is so cute, and the cake is beautiful!
Whoa, craziness! Good for you taking Seth to the ball game. Much more fun than crying at home by yourself. I'm glad you survived Jon's trip!
Post a Comment