This is our sweet little baby. He was sleeping from 8pm to 2am every night.Then he stopped. Which means Mommy isn't getting her one good chunk of sleep every night. Which means Mommy is tired. Which means Mommy tends to get angry and/or emotional.
Saturday night he slept like a dream--8 to 2, 2 to 5:30, 5:30 to 8. So, of course, I didn't sleep very well (and yes, I was laying in bed thinking, "Why am I not sleeping!? This is so unfair!"). And, of course, I was exhausted the next day.
I figured that since he'd made that 6 hour stretch the night before he would do it again. Silly me. I fed him at 8:45, had him asleep by 9:30 (and then went back in at 9:40 to put the stupid pacifier back in his mouth) and fell asleep counting on a solid 4.5 hours of sleep.
He's up at 12:45. I plop his pacifier in his mouth and go back to bed.
Then again at 2 am. This is legit--I feed him and put him to bed.
2:40 am. He wakes up and wants his pacifier (he NEVER needs it in the middle of the night). I make Jon deal with him.
4:20 am. Up again. I give him his pacifier, go back to bed and cry because I'm so angry. And then I start thinking about how I haven't gotten a decent night's sleep in 2 1/2 months. And then I start thinking about how I probably won't get a decent night's sleep for a very long time. Needless to say, this is a very bad train of thought at 4 am.
I was trying to be quiet, but I still woke up Jon. He got me calmed down and we fell asleep.
5:45 am. He's up again. Jon jumped up and got him before I could. He offered to give him a bottle so I could keep sleeping. It was very tempting. But then he had a better idea--he'd stay home a few extra hours that morning so I could sleep. Done. I fed the kid and went back to bed.
8 am. I wake up in a panic because I haven't heard any Seth noises (usually he'll wake up around 6:30 and then sleep for two more hours in his swing). Yes, I'm still terrified that my baby is going to die of SIDS. I roll over, and realize that Jon isn't there. Apparently Seth had woken up at 7 am, but Jon got him up, changed his diaper, and turned off the monitor RIGHT NEXT TO MY HEAD without me hearing a thing. I was REALLY tired.
Sadly, I had a visiting teaching appointment at 9am and couldn't sleep in. Jon forgot about it and came into the bathroom demanding to know why I was awake. He was planning on giving Seth a bottle so I could sleep as long as I wanted.
I've heard that a husband doing housework is the best aphrodisiac for a woman. I think giving your wife a few extra hours of sleep is even better (unless that qualifies as "housework"). See? I have the best husband ever.And yes, I still love our baby. I suppose it's not his fault he can't sleep through his own gaseous bursts...
Oh, and we bought a couch and a loveseat this weekend. They were fabulously on sale. I'll put up pictures when they get here (provided we have a camera by then). Now people will have somewhere to sit on the main floor!
Monday, September 29, 2008
Why Jon is the best husband EVER
at 10:34 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Husbands are the best! Curt has been my rock through this whole ordeal with Tucker, and I really couldn't do it without him! I'm so sorry that Seth isn't sleeping as well. I'm trying to remember that right now while I can still get good 2-3 hour chunks of sleep in between pumping and going to the hospital. Even now, I feel like I'm never going to get a full night's sleep again, and Tucker isn't even home yet! The things we do for our babies...but it's totally worth it. :)
Poor you!!! At least Jon is great!! I could not have managed parenthood in my grandmother's era when husbands were useless. She is always scandalized that I (gasp) take help from Greg on baby/cooking/housework. But, hey, forget a happy mother, a SANE mother is a happy household.
You never know how much difference sleep really makes until you have a baby! Hooray for such a sweet husband! And I promise, things DO get better.
That's so nice to have a hubby who understands the crucial NEED for sleep. You're right, letting you sleep in is so much hotter than housework. Did you get my e-mail about us coming to DC this weekend?
Way to go JON! I sure wish I could help Megan but I think you and Jon both might find it a little weird if I was hovering around your house in the middle of the night waiting for a baby to cry. Creepy. But hey, if you ever need a nap in the afternoon, give me a call. I am a great babysitter and the best part is I drive myself and I'm free.
That is so sweet, good job Jon! Don't feel bad, I used to cry all the time at night, sleep intueruptions are one of the worst, hardest things ever!
aww....Megan....you are so cute. It is was hard not getting sleep, then taking care of a baby, and the rest of the house. And you're supposed to take care of yourself, too. It'll get better soon, I promise. He's probably having growing pains. I remember when Isabella was really tiny and she'd wake up SO MUCH (I thought I would die), and then low and behold, her clothes started getting super tight, almost overnight. Or maybe he's just preparing you for his teenage years.
Awwww! What a hubby! That's really sweet! Unfortunately for me, Tyrel sleeps like a rock and pretty much never heard Allie in the wee hours of the morning... lol... but I was blessed with a very good sleeper. Soooo sorry he's still not sleeping through the night! Big hugs!
Husbands who will hold the baby so you can sleep definitely fall into the "best ever" category. I'm glad Jon is such a support to you! Glad to hear that you still regard Seth with some affection, in spite of the sleep deprivation torture. Hang in there- he'll be four months old in November and things will start to get better!!
Jon, thanks for taking such good care of my friend. She deserves it!
Post a Comment