Sunday, October 19, 2008

Weekends need to be longer.

This has been one of those weeks that just leave you exhausted (even though you didn't actually accomplish all that much).

First of all, Seth has a cold again. Poor kid. This is actually a mixed blessing--when he first gets sick he's up every two hours at night. But as he works his way through, he actually sleeps LONGER. As in 10 to 4:30 am last night. And he's still happy as a clam during the day, just slightly congested.

My biggest stress was my very first cake decorating job. Yes, I worked as a cake decorator last year, but this was the first time I've done the whole job--baking, decorating, and delivery. Joyce requested a fairy (NOT Tinkerbell) cake for her daughter. It turned out pretty well, but I sure wanted to shoot myself when I was about halfway through. I was paranoid that it wouldn't be good enough, but the look on Natalie's face when she saw the cake made it all worth it. Hallelujah.

I was also given a calling this week that totally threw me for a loop--Young Women's Second Counselor. I have never worked with the Young Women and it has always seemed like a daunting job. In Primary the kids are (generally) too young to be doing stupid things that can ruin their lives. By Relief Society the women have generally gotten past that point. Not that I think all Young Women are going to do stupid things, but it's a rough age (as we who have survived it can attest). But once I learned who the president and 1st counselor are, I just felt so RIGHT about everything. I've never felt this way about a calling before. Accordingly, Tuesday nights are now officially male bonding time at our house.

The best news this week came from the Daniel & Wendy version of the Blood family--a new baby girl. And guess what they named her? That's right--Megan. How many of YOU have a kid named after you? Okay, so actually they just liked the name, but I'm going to claim her anyway. Apparently her older sister, Jocelyn (she's 2), was insisting on calling her "Baby Seth." I find this totally adorable.

So now my house is a disaster, my baby is asleep, my husband is doing the dishes (bless him), and I want to go crash for 5 hours. The odds of Seth letting me do this: zilch. And it's getting to that time of year when life just gets insane--Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then Christmas. Luckily for us, the faster time goes, the faster we'll get to go home to see our families!

Oh, and our camera should be here this week. Then I will inundate you all with pictures of our child which I will find totally adorable and unique and which you will think look exactly the same. Hey, at least his grandmas will appreciate them, too.

To hold you over, here's a video from Oct. 6th (now that we've got our firewire card working):

9 comments:

Sommer said...

I was so excited for you when I heard them call you as the 2nd counsler, you will do so wonderfully and the girls will love you!

Unknown said...

joanna says your cake is awesome!

Rachel said...

Yay for your new calling. Matchy matchy, since it is mine too. Does it make you feel old? I felt like my leaders were so old when I was in. Haha. You will do great.

Seth is cute as always and your cake is amazing. Very talented.

Jamie said...

I like Seth's big belly! It is funny thathe talks so different from Jackson. Very cute! Isn't it fun! I love your cake . . . you are so talented. You will be awesome in the YM.

Holly said...

Wow! Busy weekend! The cake looks amazing, good luck with your calling, and we loved the video! I love all the cute noises babies make!

HeavenlyHome said...

I'm thrilled you found us...and you were very nice to make a sweet comment...although my literary skills aren't as enjoyable as yours!
I'm glad I will hear first hand from my 12 yr old that you are doing a great job!

Kellie said...

Your fairy cake is so, so cute! I would be hiring you if the cakes wouldn't get stale before they got here : )

Seth is so baby-roly-poly cute! Sorry he's sick - hope he gets better quickly.

You'll go a great job with the YW! Those callings that feel "right" are just the best!

Joey, Amber, Ken , Ellie, Bruce and Patrick said...

You are so talented! I wish I could be as cool as you and make fairy cakes.

Adrian said...

Your baby is so FAT! It's darling! Does he always talk that much? How FUN!!

Good luck in YW!! I'm with you, I think it's one of the trickier callings in the church. I'm glad you feel so good about it.