This is what your child looks like after 3 days of attempted (and failed) sleep training:
This is basically just a record so I can keep track of Seth's progress (or lack thereof).
Night #3: I can't even remember. He screamed, that I know, but I can't remember how long. Then we didn't hear from him until 5:45am. So here I am thinking we've at least got the nights figured out...HA!
Day #3: Nap #1--he falls asleep after 15 minutes of crying. Nap #2--he screams for 1 hour, 45 minutes and falls asleep just as I'm about to go get him.
Night #4: Falls asleep in Jon's arms, wakes up when placed in crib, then screams for 30 minutes before falling asleep. Wakes up at 10:45, screams for 30 minutes until I go put his blanket back on him. Wakes up AGAIN at 3:30. Screams until I go feed him at 4:30. What a long, stinking night.
Day #4: Nap #1: screams for 30 minutes, falls asleep for 45. Nap #2: screams for 20 minutes, then sleeps for THREE STRAIGHT HOURS. A miracle.
Night #5: Another miracle--screams for (seriously) ONE MINUTE, then sleeps until 3am. Eats at 3, wakes up at 6:30 (and I do NOT go get him) falls back to sleep after 10 minutes, up at 7:30am.
Day #5: Nap #1--screams for 15 minutes, falls asleep, and then gets woken up by the wind. Proceeds to scream for an hour until I get him. Nap #2--cries for 10 minutes, then falls asleep.
I've decided that the reason this is so hard for Seth is because he was seriously addicted to that pacifier. As Jon says, Seth had trained himself to wake up at night so he could tell us he wanted his pacifier. Now he has to train himself to go back to sleep.
And THANK YOU, Sommer, for the tip about 2 naps. Seth is just at a terrible sort of in-between phase. He seems to need about 2.5 naps (3 is too many). He's also about ready to start solid food (he's getting hungrier earlier), and he may have a tooth coming in. Joy.
Basically, I've been saying lots of prayers. 10 more days, that's all...


6 comments:
Here is some motivation for you to hang in there...
http://thebowdenstory.blogspot.com/2009/01/will-he-ever-learn.html
Good luck!
Your Seth is so darn CUTE. Even when he's exhausted. It sounds like you're making progress, really, even though it doesn't feel like it to poor exhausted you!! Hang in there! Really! You and he will both be happier in the end because you did. Really!!
Keep it up, it's so worth it!
No experience. I don't remember being that age. My sisters might..
I know if I have trouble going to sleep now there are a few books in the Old Testament and also some music that will put me to sleep.
Wishing you the best..
Have you tried putting a heating pad in his crib to heat up his bed? I put a heating pad in my son's crib on the lowest setting and remove it just before I put him down. That way he's not being put down in a cold bed.
Post a Comment