Jon's at a Stake Priesthood Meeting tonight, which means I'm all alone listening to my baby scream his heart out. Why? Because his cruel parents officially decided that sleep training has begun. Which means no more sleeping in his pimping chair, and no more pacifier. If there were some way to keep that dang thing in his mouth, I'd let him have it, but it's just impossible.
I can't really say if he's making any progress. The poor kid has completely lost the capacity to soothe himself, so this is really rough on him. He screamed for an hour and 45 minutes last night before falling asleep, screamed for an hour at nap time this afternoon, and is currently finishing up hour #1 of screaming tonight. So are we bad parents? During the day I don't think so, but after listening to him scream (not just cry, SCREAM) for so long, I feel horrible. We're giving it two weeks--if he's still screaming after that I guess we'll just let him sleep in his chair with his pacifier forever.
In the meantime, I'll try to distract myself by updating our blog. Poor Chubbers...
Sunday, January 4, 2009
I think I may be crazy...
at 6:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hi Megan! I don't have any experience with this at all, but I have read a little bit about the whole thing and I know it must be hard! I read another blog that is written by another mom and she was having some trouble with the idea, as well as how to do it, too. Here's a link to her post: http://blog.cjanerun.com/2008/11/post-where-i-turn-into-mommy-blogger.html
Some of the comments on the post were really interesting - lots of opinions - but it seems like there are a lot of options and ideas out there. One that caught my eye was a book called How to Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems, by Dr. Ferber.
Good luck! I don't think it's bad to teach your child to sleep - sometimes they just need a little help. And I'm sure a good night's sleep for both of you can't be a bad thing.
Hang in there!! It's hard to let your baby scream but you'll be glad you did!! Really!! And he'll be happier for it too, in the end. Really! Setting a limit on it (two weeks) is a good idea. We will be rooting for Seth to figure things out by then.
Speaking of. Max is learning to sleep again (writing this up on my blog today in greater detail) and last night got out of bed, discovered he was locked in his room, and instead of crying (because he apparently has learned that will get him nothing) just settled down, kicked the door a few times, and went to sleep on the floor. I guess I feel successful. :)
Christmas sounds like it was tons of fun. :) I'm glad you had fun even if you didn't get any sleep. At least there was someone to hold your baby.
At least you get to update the blog...I've missed stalking you!
I bet Seth will figure it out in less than a week!
I'm so so sorry Megan! I hate listening to Tucker cry/scream! We are STILL on vacation (I'm about ready to be done by now), but we're going to be doing the same thing when we get home, and I'm not looking forward to it...! Everything I've heard and read said that it's hard, but totally worth it. So we'll keep our fingers crossed that Seth will catch on soon. Good luck! (By the way, I have this great book: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth. It's the "sleeping bible" for all of my friends and relatives, and it's worked pretty well for us so far, so you can check it out if you'd like.)
Post a Comment