Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Birthday

May 28, 2009
(Notice my crazed look? That's the product of a very, very long day)

I guess it's true--as you get older, birthdays seem to matter less and less. This is especially true if your husband is not into celebrations. What am I supposed to do? Throw a party for myself?

This was my first birthday as a mom, and I was surprised at what a difference there was. As in, I kept thinking about Thursday as my busy piano day first, and then only remembering later that it was my birthday, too.

It should have been a good day. My mom and Bethany flew in the night before to hang out with us for a week, and I was super excited about that.

But then Seth decided that the attention needed to be on him. 100%. All day long. I am not exaggerating when I say that I have never, ever seen him as whiny and grumpy as he was on my birthday. He threw the biggest tantrum I have ever seen, refused to nap, and was generally unpleasant all day long. The only time he was happy was when Marah took him on the swings for an hour during some piano lessons.

By the end of the day, I was ready to cry. Luckily my mom was there--she bought me an entire sampler of cheesecake, lit the candles, and made everyone sing. So at least it felt a little like a birthday. All I really wanted was 12 uninterrupted hours of sleep (fat chance of that one).

May 29, 2009

I always knew Seth liked his dad better--he was a stinking angel all day. Well, until we went out to P.F. Chang's for our birthday dinner. I figured between me, Jon, Mom & Beth we could keep him entertained and semi-quiet.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Jon spent the whole night saying, "I told you so. We're never taking him out to a restaurant again." No arguments here.

Overall, it ended up being a good birthday weekend. Jon bought a new set of speakers for his computer and a batch of no-bake cookies (that's what he wanted instead of a cake/pie). I got money to finish decorating the living room (hallelujah! I've been dying for the past year!) and a giant book of classical piano music.

Seth, you owe me big next year. Little stinker.

6 comments:

Alicia said...

Eek! Sorry to hear about your horrible day! I can definitely relate. Roland isn't into celebrating either so usually holidays go uncelebrated unless I make a huge deal about it. We have given up on taking the kids out too. It makes for a lot of boring days sitting at home. It is just too much effort to try to get both of them into the car and happy for any length of time. Hope next year is better for you!

Kristina said...

I'm sorry you had such a crummy birthday. But you look gorgeous in the blue you wore for your family pics, so that has to count for something, right?

Sommer said...

bless your heart, I'm so sorry to hear that! Ben's really bad at celebrating too, I've just accepted that fact, so when he got me a card on mother's day and cereal, I was beside myself with glee! The next time you and Jon want to go out to eat just drop Seth off at my house, we'd love to have him, and with new toys and places to roam around he'd probably be a happy little guy till you guys came back. I hope you take me up on the offer!

Megan Turnidge said...

Oh my word. My birthday post was very similar to this one this year! My hubby is totally useless when it comes to celebrations and special events. It's come to the point where I have to buy a gift for myself, make my own cake, and demand to be taken out to dinner. *sigh*

Oh, and PF Chang's.... mmmmmm! Sorry the little one was a stinker for your b-day and dinner. :(

Kellie said...

I hope you're not thinking of moving to Australia now!

I totally agree that birthdays and other holidays just aren't the same after becoming a mommy. I've found it gets easier as I get used to it being that way, but for now that's not especially comforting, is it? Happy (late) birthday anyway.

Adrian said...

Happy happy birthday! Totally hear you about restaurants + kids = difficult. Just remember he's going to grow out of it. Even next year will be different. :) You could use this as a reason not to have more kids- if you do you'll be waiting forever for someone to grow out of it. hee hee.