Tuesday, June 30, 2009

'Lazy' Summer Days

Whoever coined the phrase "lazy summer days" has apparently never been a mom. Or a Mormon. This week alone we have five piano lessons, two Independence Day parties, one interior design consultation (thanks, Lenae!), 4 birthdays (one of which I'm making the cake for), 1 blood donation appointment, 1 Young Women activity, 1 lunch date in Baltimore, and 1 exercise class (which Marah and I are teaching. Yikes!). And to be honest, I'm not complaining. It's fun stuff, just LOTS of it.

So now I'm trying to play catch-up.

To celebrate Jon's first Father's Day, we had a delicious breakfast of eggs, homemade hashbrowns, and bacon. On Saturday. (Jon refused to let me & Seth bring him breakfast in bed Sunday morning--"I don't want crumbs in my bed"). Then, I gave both of my boys a badly needed haircut.

Before

After

You can't tell, but I really butched Seth's hair. It's really hard to cut a squirming baby's hair. Thankfully he was so mesmerized by the books Jon was reading to him that most of the haircut went fairly smoothly. His hair looks much better now that it's had a week to grow out.

Jon got a Snickers Bar for Father's Day at church, and a delicious chicken parmesan dinner at home (which had to be postponed until Monday because the chicken went bad. Gross, gross, gross). He also got a giant bowl of chocolate pudding which he has been enjoying all week.

Marah & I have been keeping ourselves busy as well. Marah moved out here from BYU with the intention of getting a job to pay for school next year. It was a good plan in theory, but we didn't count on there being NO JOBS for her to take. Not even at Pizza Hut, where she already has a year and a half of experience. It's been frustrating for her, but we've now all accepted the fact that there aren't any jobs.

So I gave her a job--a stripper. That's right; I've put my sister to work stripping our kitchen cabinets. If you remember our lovely pinkish-white cabinets from this post, you'll also remember how much I loathe them. They are easily my least favorite part of our house. After considering many options, we decided that stripping them and restaining them was the way to go. There were a few snags (which is why we started with the inside of the doors first), but things are looking up. I think they're going to look so good when we get it all put together. But then again, as Jon keeps reminding me, they can't possibly look worse than they do now, regardless of how it turns out. So that's what we're up to. It's a lot of boring, back-and-shoulder aching, sweaty work, but it's worth it. As for Seth, he keeps himself busy unloading the dishwasher any time we accidently leave it open. He's definitely mastered crawling and pulling up on things. Luckily he still hasn't tried to go down the stairs (yet).

6 comments:

Christy said...

LOL. You pimped out your sister as a Stripper? Nice one Megan Blood. Nice. I'm pretty sure you can go to hell for that.
;)
Love,
Warnick

Adrian said...

Sounds like a busy fun time at your house. Love the haircuts, you're good with a buzzer!! Our secret for haircuts is Baby Einstein...and now Max knows what the buzzer is and even sits still for me to do it and get out the scissors and trim over his ears without Baby Einstein (but maybe with some popcorn). I'm glad you're having fun with Marah - sorry about the job market, but at least your cabinets will be redone!

HeavenlyHome said...

OH, haircut day....one of my least favorite..until its done! Your boys are almost as handsome as all of mine!!!LOL!

Sommer said...

holy cow Megan, good luck!!! If you need any help or anythign let me know, you go super woman!

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are as busy as ever Meg. Personally I feel I can also relate to the haircut difficulties, though mine does not come from a wee little babe, but a man turned Baby whenever he hears it is time.... :) If I let him, he would have dreds.

Ashlee said...

I bet it is nice to have Marah out there with you. Your mom was here a couple of days ago. I didnt get to see her but my mom went to lunch with her and all the ward women. seth is getting so big. It is crazy that he will be 1 next sunday. That went way fast.