Monday, October 12, 2009

A little bit of KAYAKING!

Sept. 26, 2009
(No, I am NOT wearing makeup)

A few of my Beehives are avid kayakers and were determined that the rest of their class needed to experience the fun, too. All the girls were supposed to get a chance to kayak at camp, but a torrential downpour made kayaking really exciting for half the girls, and prevented the other half from ever getting in the water.

Due to issues of liability, we couldn't make it an officially church-sponsored activity. So instead we just invited all the Beehives to an "informal" activity and made arrangements to get them all rides. We had a group of 6 girls who were able to come, and they had a blast.

I had never been in a kayak before, but this was the ideal spot for beginners. It was a small inlet off the Chesapeake Bay and there was almost no current. It was like kayaking on a small lake. A little boring, perhaps, but perfect for girls who had no experience in a kayak.

We had enough kayaks for all six girls, plus me, to be out at the same time. They had a great time trying to ram each other and chasing some poor crane. At some point the light drizzle we were dealing with became a pretty decent rain, so the girls headed back. I headed back, too, but only to pick up Jon & Seth. My kayak was big enough to fit Seth on my lap, so we slapped a life jacket on him and headed out.

He seemed to enjoy it--he was singing to himself and would get so excited every time he caught a glance of Jon. Eventually the rain got too him and he was whining, so we headed back.

We were very spoiled--Kendal (the Beehive who put this whole thing together) and her family let us use their home to change clothes and warm up. Not only that--they also provided hot dogs, chips, and peanut M&Ms (which Seth decided were purchased for him and him alone). We sat around and chatted for a while, then played our first game of Mormon Rummy. Jon was very frustrated because one of my Beehives kept inadvertently ruining his game plan.

Definitely a great day. All the girls had fun, and Seth loved playing with all the cars at their house. We've already made plans for next summer while the older kids are at Youth Conference...
(His life jacket was totally smushing his face. And that's the lovely Catherine behind us)

4 comments:

Kristina said...

Fun!! I'm jealous--I've always wanted to kayak. The closest I've come is canoeing and lifeguarding a kayak rolling class.

Alicia said...

Sounds like so much fun! Seth looks so cute!

Sommer said...

You have such a good group of girls and they just adore you! You do so good with them. I love the last picture of you and Seth, you are gorgeous!!!

Adrian said...

That sounds like fun!!!I'm glad Seth could enjoy it too. And I think it's funny that one of your Beehives kept spoiling Jon's strategy!!