I'm not kidding when I say Halloween is my favorite holiday. Christmas is a very close second (it gets closer every year), but Halloween still takes the cake. My favorite parts are decorating my house and picking out costumes (which will be featured in another post--oh, the suspense!).
Unfortunately, I'm picky about my Halloween decorations. I'm not a fan of the cutesy, crafty, country style:Nor do I go for the gory, bloody, creepy stuff:
I'm more of the spooky, old, haunted house type style. Unfortunately, I don't have unlimited funds to spend on Halloween decor, nor do I want to put the effort into totally redecorating my house for one month. So I'm not totally pleased with it, but it has potential.
The family room:
I found the tattered curtains for $1 each at Dollar Tree. Love them.
The dining room:
Notice the black flowers in the vase (behind the laptop)? I spent a lot of time (and money) hunting them down at Michael's before Wal-Mart even thought about carrying black flowers during Halloween. That's right--I'm the original.
The living room:
Not much in here. Spiderweb tablecloth made by me, plus some decorations on the shelf. Wasn't worth totally redecorating this room.
The piano:
The pirate collection. Leftovers from my Jonny Depp obsession days. Remember that sign you bought me as a "wedding gift", Alisse?
Front entry:
My personal favorite. I LOVE the candleholder. And yes, Seth does demand candy corn whenever he walks by.
As you can see, I have my standards. No spiderweb on any church pictures--that's pushing a bit too far for my taste. Family pictures, however, are free game for spiderwebbing.
I saved the best for last--the outside of our house:
The spiderwebs on the windows are a bit too overwhelming--next year I'll make them smaller. But other than that, I love how it turned out. (Those are little ghosts in the tree, in case you can't tell).
The front door says "Laciate Ogne Speranza, Voi Ch'intrate." I'll let my Italian translator, Kristina, tell you what it means. I'll bet she's even talented enough to give you the reference.
I love Halloween.
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Our Haunted House
at 12:19 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
You are hilarious. I love the decor. I should probably be more into decorating, but I am just not. I will enjoy yours from afar! :)
Lasciate ogni speranza!!!
I love you for putting that up. Love love love.
To everyone, it's "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here" from Dante's Inferno. I only spent an entire semester on the Divine Comedy. But I have to save, Purgatorio was my favorite.
I knew I could count on you, Kris! I'm pretty sure all my neighbors think it says something Satanic...
oh I love it!!! It looks great! I have to confess that I am a big fan of the cutesy halloween/fall decorations, but I am also a big fan of the way you did it too, my favorite is the piano decorations and the entryway decorations. Too funny about seth having to get candy corn when he walks by!
Oh, yes! I'm all about a holiday that encourages me to make my cute kids even cuter!!!!! Bring it on!
And can we stop by for some candy corn!?!?!?
ok, this is really Catherine on Kamberlynne's computer....oops!
I like the cobwebs in your windows! It looks great!
Love it!
Ah Meg, you would be sorely disappointed with our Halloween decor. Although, we do have a living black cat sitting in the front window! Wendy is very opposed to witches - lots of anti-Halloween in the churches here - so out of respect for her beliefs (I've had the little girls a lot lately), I only did 'cutesy'. I do have a very stuffed witches up, and of course your childhood artwork
Post a Comment