Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Seth at 15 months

Seth survived his 15 month check up yesterday. He barely cried when they gave him two shots in his thighs--he was more mad than anything.

Official Stats: 22 lbs, 4 oz. 31 inches. ( I can't remember what they said for his head circum.)

She was impressed with his vocabulary. He spent the entire session saying "Car. Crash. Car. Crash" over and over again. He even threw his cars at her a few times. (Does that count as a sentence? "Car crash"? How about, "Cheese, mmmm"?).

We did have one conversation that amused/upset me. Seth hates, hates, hates being confined. Examples include his carseat, the pew during sacrament meeting, and (occasionally) his stroller. So waiting in the tiny examination room for an hour? Not fun for Seth or Mom.

By the time the pediatrician actually came in, Seth was done. He was whining, arching his back, and clamoring at the door. At this point she said to me, "He's most likely starting in on the terrible twos a little early." Check. Already established that one.

But then there was this tidbit: "Has he ever bitten you?" Nope. Never. "Well, you should keep an eye on him. He seems like he might have the sort of temperament to bite other kids."

First, it was funny. Seth never even takes toys from other kids, let alone bites them. Then I thought about it, and I was kind of upset. She's categorizing my son as a bully after locking him in a tiny room for 40 minutes and observing him for 5? That hardly seems fair.

I'm not upset enough to switch doctors or anything, but still. Maybe when he goes in at 18 months I'll tell her we had to take him out of playgroup because he took off two fingers with one chomp.

Finally, keeping in line with a pre-established time frame, we got rid of the bottle. He only had it before his nap and before bed (and we never let him keep it with him) so it wasn't too hard. We just swapped his bottle of warm milk for a straw-sippy-cup of warm milk. But it broke my heart to put those bottles away, mostly because I loved rocking him while he drank. What happened to my baby?
Do I look like the kind of kid who would bite someone?

10 comments:

Holly said...

Seth is so cute, and so big! When did these little babies grow up so fast?! And I would be sad about the doctor labeling my child as a "biter" too. Why would you say something like that as a doctor?

Sommer said...

No way, he does not look like that type... how rude!!! I'd be pretty annoyed at that assumption too... and I'd be really really really annoyed about having to wait an hour for my doctor too!

Anonymous said...

Wow, so much to read... I would have been upset being locked in a little room to get shots from a stranger! Why did they go into pediatrics I wonder.

The pumpkin picture is adorable!
I am so jealous of how calm you were the day you got married ad the family moments you had. My family was all sorts of whacked out and selfish when we were married. I wasn't calm until after the luncheon when Nathan and I were finally alone together.

Atkinsons said...

I am pretty sure we have the same doctor. She can be a little crazy sometimes in the things she says. sometimes after she rambles on forever about something I'm like huh? what was that all about and why? Don't worry about it too much. i am pretty sure Seth is not a "biter".

HeavenlyHome said...

It must be the red head thing contributing to her unfair stereotype!!! Don't you worry, momma, he's a darling!

Cori said...

I just love love his head of hair! He is just so handsome. Sorry you have a "potential bitter" on hand. It would be funny to see the look on her face if you told her that...haha!

Adrian said...

Your doctor obviously doesn't read your blog to hear about Seth and Angelina... :) Good job for him not being completely freaked out by the shots, at least!!

Alicia said...

Doctors sometimes make me so upset. I don't know how she could categorize him just by looking at him. Weston has gone through a biting stage. I don't know why, but he will come up and bite my arm or my leg, or he will bite Natalie on the foot. It is really strange. He knows he gets time out for it but for some reason he still does it. The doctor says it has to do with his two year molars, but that doesn't make sense why he uses his front teeth. Even so, I don't know how the doctor would say that Seth is a biter by LOOKING at him. Weird. I wouldn't let it get to you. It's not fair when they are trapped in those scary exam rooms for so long. Seth is a good kid! :)

sungold17 said...

Its the Ginger baby syndrome. ;)
But really, one thing I have learned is that doctors are there for medical knowledge and advice and that is it! I hate how peds feel they can give parenting advice. But at the same time, it seems most parents want parenting advice from their doctors (left over perhaps from when society viewed doctors as Gods perhaps??) so maybe its not only the doctors fault for giving parenting advice out so freely. But you know what Megan, even if Seth does go through a biting state or a hitting stage, he is still an angle and will grow up to be a kind person. Some kids just go through that. My nephew was a horrible hitter but is very gentle now at 5.
-Dawn

Ashlee said...

Seth is getting so big. The time goes way to fast. I can't believe the doctor said that to you. I would have been way mad. He looks so cute to bite anyones finger off.