Sunday, October 31, 2010

How to Transition to a 'New Big Bed'


Step 1: Have your kid sleeping in a pack and play next to his 'big bed' for a year since your neighbors are too loud and keep waking him up in his real crib.

Step 2: Have your kid outgrow a normal pack and play so that you have to borrow a bigger one from a friend.

Step 3: Have your friend be suddenly surprised with two foster kids in her home, one of whom needs the pack and play.

Step 4: Give your kid a couple of days warning that the crib is going away and that he'll be sleeping in his big bed.

Step 5: On the appointed day, have him help pack up the pack and play so he can actually see it leaving.

Step 6: Load him in the car and have him actually return said pack and play to his friend.

Step 7: Buy him a soft-serve cone (known as 'ice cream for the tongue' in Seth Speak) because he's a big boy now.

Step 8: Get him all excited and let him jump all over his new bed.  Give him a bunch of toys, blankets and books to keep him company.

Step 9: Read his bedtime stories while laying next to him on the bed.

Step 10: Say goodnight, cross your fingers, and pray like crazy that you won't be seeing him every hour all night long.


I was not excited about moving him.  Our plan was to wait until January (after the holidays--that way we could still stuff him in a pack and play at our parents' houses).  But our hand was forced, so we went ahead!  I was definitely nervous--he was moving from a pack and play into a full-sized bed.  That's a huge size difference.  We packed it in as well as we could, hoping he wouldn't feel so lost.



Turns out we didn't need to stress at all.  After some initial fear-calming when we turned off the lights, he has done FANTASTICALLY.  In fact, he's never even tried to get out of his bed and leave the room.  Not at all what I expected.  But Seth has a very obedient spirit--he likes knowing the rules and having routines (just like his parents).  Now that the routines are established, he loves his 'new big bed.'  I'm pretty sure every single person who has set foot in our house recently has been hauled upstairs to see the 'new big bed.'  My baby is growing up...

5 comments:

Holly said...

Good job Seth! I can only hope Tucker's transition to a big boy bed goes half as well! (And fabulous costumes, by the way!)

Adrian said...

Oh, how I hate it when they're not little any more! I'm glad he stayed in bed for you!!

Eric and Hilary said...

aw, i still can't bring myself to turn sierra's crib into a toddler bed. i'm waiting until she tries to get out of her crib by herself. haha so pretty soon i'll have two babies in cribs. that's great that he stays in it! i think for sure sierra will be out playing in the middle of the night once we make the transition!

Jen Bowen said...

That's great Seth switched over so well. I remember worrying that we'd never get Zach to stay in his bed back when we switched him but thankfully like Seth, he's pretty obedient. By the way, I love the Halloween costumes.

If you're still interested in hearing about handling two kids (or just want to talk) call me. My number's the same as it's always been. Let me know if you need it again and I can email you or something.

AZ Mikesells said...

Where have I been? I just saw this blog for the first time. Love the pictures!!!