Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sethisms

First of all, Google has declared my other blog squeaky clean.  Hooray!  So have no fear about heading over that way.

Seth is currently in the middle of another learning explosion.  Recent explosions have centered around speech--this one is entirely physical.  Thank heaven he still has those cheeks--they're one of the only things that make him still seem like a baby!

*We're sort of potty-training.  Nothing too demanding, just asking him if he wants to use the potty and rewarding him when he does.  Thank heaven it's candy corn season again--those suckers are motivating him like M&Ms never could!

*Every night he gets a choice--read books with Mom & Dad or jump in the crib.  He almost always chooses to jump.  And man, can that kid catch air.

*He's known how to climb into his pack-and-play for a while now.  But now, thanks to Cousin Megan, he can also climb out.  Thankfully we've only caught him out of his crib once so far, but I'm sure it won't be long...

* He can open doors now.  Darn it.

*He's completely obsessed with Baby Signing Time/Signing Time.  He asks for it all the time.  I think it's hilarious--he's finally picking up on the signs.  Not much use now--he already knows all the words.  The signs are just for fun.  I love how he asks for it, too: "Baysigntime?"



*He's obsessed with shoes.  He loves to wear our shoes, and he loves to bring us our shoes to put on.  Even when we're not going anywhere.


* Jon gave me a slice of pumpernickel bread to try last week.  I had a bite and then told him, "Sorry.  I don't like it."  Seth latched onto that one immediately.  Almost every meal now we'll hear, 'Don't like it.'  Fantastic.

* 'Wash hands' is his new favorite activity.  He'll push chairs to the kitchen sink or pull his stool up to the bathroom sink and 'wash hands' for as long as I let him.  This is only an issue when the sink is full of dirty dishes and he wants to 'wash hands' (aka play in the sink).


* He's definitely in the 'tiny tyrant' stage.  We hear 'No!' a lot, but our favorite demand is, "Come on, Mommy/Daddy!  Come on!"

* There's a distinct difference between "Get you!" and "Got you!"  "Get you" means "I'm going to get you/come and get me/play with me."  "Got you" means "Don't let me fall."  We hear "got you" a lot when we have to forcefully carry him up the stairs to bed.

*He addresses everyone as 'Hey, you!'  Anyone under the age of 10 is addressed as 'friend.'

*The newest skill is one we have come to dread: diaper removal.  Three times in the past two days we've walked in after a nap/bedtime to find him naked from the waist down.  Twice we've had to change all his bedding.  We had to wake him up, strip him and his bed down, and give him a lecture last night at 11pm.  We'll see if that has any effect on him...

I'm finding myself appreciating my time with Seth more and more as I realize that soon my attention will be divided.  It's easy for me to understand why some people choose to only have one child--you would never have to miss a single thing they do.  But I know he's going to love having a 'friend' once the baby is old enough to play.  I love you, Seth Man.

3 comments:

Adrian said...

He is so funny. I'm so glad that you're enjoying him in spite of late night sheet changes.

Eric and Hilary said...

sounds so much like sierra megan! 'don't like it' is one of sierra's favorite phrases, she's obsessed with putting shoes on and insists on bringing me mine too (especially if were going out on the deck-massive shoe natzi) and she is definitely obsessed with washing hands, which makes quite a mess so i kind of can't stand it.
i think its hilarious that seth wants to do baby sign time. the diaper thing is terrible!

Jamie said...

So fun to read these . . some so similar and some so different. WE had the diaper removing problem and have solved it almost completely. It worked for us so I'll share. Whenever he takes his diaper off we get to pinch his buns. It is a game and we make it fun, but he sure doesn't like it. We taught him that if he lays down we can't pinch him (thus we can reapply the diaper). It is a fantastic way to have fun and still get what you want. Good luck!