This is mostly for myself (and other suckers like me who like reading birth stories), so feel free to pass if you're not up for all the details!
Like Catherine, Aaron gave us a few scares thinking he was going to show up early. Luckily things always calmed down before I got really worried, but I tried to take it as easy as possible with two kids to chase around.
Much to my doctor's apparent confusion, I didn't have her check me at my 40 week appointment (I thought I was only 39 weeks) on Sept. 14th. I figured it doesn't matter anyway--if it happens it happens. Why get my hopes up? I left with an appointment for a week later and instructions to arrange an induction if nothing had happened by then.
Saturday was when I felt like things were starting to progress. I woke up in the night with some serious cramps for about an hour, but luckily nothing came of it. The next morning I lost at least part of my mucous plug and was hoping labor would be imminent, but it wasn't to be. Instead of going to the hospital I drove to the airport to pick up my mom. Now at least we had a babysitter if I went into labor!
Sunday was my last day doing Singing Time before I put myself on maternity leave. Knowing that my mom was here, I wasn't afraid to put in all those jumping/bouncing/get-this-baby-out songs I'd been avoiding the past few weeks. The kids were very obliging--Junior Primary had me jumping and spinning, while Senior had me doing squats.
After lunch I finally sat down to rest and notice that my cramps were coming pretty consistently. I had been feeling kind of crampy all morning and was pretty hopeful that this was it. But I refused to time anything until they started to hurt. An hour or so later I had a bit of bloody show and told Jon he was on high alert. We decided a family walk would be a great idea. By the end of the walk I had to slow down to walk through the contractions.
I started timing contractions as I was making dinner. They were averaging 3 minutes apart, lasting about one minute, but there wasn't any real pain. They were uncomfortable, but I wasn't calling until they HURT. No point in going in just to be sent home.
Here was the gamble, though--Jon had a Priesthood meeting at the Stake Center that night. It's a 35 minute drive, plus he was planning on carpooling with a few other guys. He asked me repeatedly if he should cancel, but I told him to go ahead--the contractions weren't really progressing. I figured we'd be going in that night, but not until later.
So Jon leaves and I sit down on the floor to scan something for my mom. Not sure if it was the change in position or what, but I felt something kind of 'pop' near the top of my belly. At first I thought my water had broken, but nothing happened there. I still don't know exactly what it was, but all of a sudden the contractions started to hurt.
I stuck it out as long as I thought was safe before telling Jon he needed to come home. He made it through all of one talk (sorry, sweetie). While he was driving home I packed our bags, helped Mom get babies in bed, and called my OB who said to come in.
We made it to the hospital around 8 pm. After waiting so long to come in (and waiting for the contractions to really hurt), I was hoping I would be at 5-6 cm when I got there. No luck--just 3-4. My body does not do labor quickly. Luckily my contractions were strong and consistent, so they let me stay. I was at a 5 when they admitted me 45 minutes later.
The best part of this whole ordeal was the epidural, which ACTUALLY WORKED this time. Third time's a charm, I guess! It was amazing to actually be able to nap through my contractions instead of shaking in pain. Best. Thing. Ever.
Around 1 a.m. my nurse came in to have my lay on my side (better for the baby during labor). Then a few minutes later she came back and announced that the baby didn't like that side and I needed to roll over. I obliged (with some serious help--those epidurals really do a number on your legs), only to have her back in a few minutes later. Apparently his heart rate was dropping with every contraction. She checked me to see how things were going--I was at a 9.5, but my water still hadn't broken.
Announcing that I was ready to have a baby, she left the room and said she'd be back in 20 minutes with the OB. The second she closed the door I felt this immense pressure. I told Jon, "I think I need to push." Luckily the nurse came back in just a couple minutes later with the doctor. I told her I felt a lot of pressure, and sure enough--my water had broken and I was ready to have a baby.
Once they had everyone assembled, they let me start pushing. Seven minutes later, at 1:39 a.m., Aaron was born (sunny side up--I'm three for three now!). I didn't get to hold him immediately because there was menconium in the amniotic fluid when my water broke. They had to make sure they got it out of his lungs ASAP. But once that was all over, I got to hold him all I wanted.
Giving birth to #3 was a very different experience than it was with #1 and #2, which was interesting since it was the same hospital every time. Not sure if it was a policy change or just because they figured I knew what I was doing this time, but I swear I barely saw the nurses. With Seth and Catherine they were in every hour pestering me and the baby. No one even gave me the go-ahead to start nursing--I just did it. Very odd.
Possible explanation--they were CRAZY busy. Later that evening my nurse came in, asking me if I would be willing to move out of my room (you're supposed to get to stay in the same room the entire time). Apparently they were out of rooms and had at least four women waiting for C-sections and inductions. I happily obliged and transported myself, Aaron, and all my stuff (minus the laptop charger, which has never been seen again) to the pediatric unit down the hall.
I have to say--this lack of rooms worked to my advantage. I HATE staying in the hospital and always want to leave after 24 hours instead of 48. Usually they drag their heels about letting me go, but this time they were (once again) desperate for rooms and happy to kick me out. Mom (who had spent the night with me--thank you, thank you!) and I were out of there and on our way home by 11 a.m.
The kids were ecstatic to see us and came rushing out the door when we pulled up. There's nothing I love more than being home with my babies--all three of them.
Aaron's was by far the easiest and most relaxing birth (plus the shortest--only 7 hours from the first painful contraction until he was born). Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll be a very easy and relaxed newborn, too!
Sunday, September 29, 2013
Aaron's Birth Story
at 7:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
LOVE the birth story! I'm so glad the epidural worked this time--hallelujah!!! I'm glad everything went smoothly & that little Aaron is here, safe and sound. And, by the way, I'm SUPER impressed that you've been updating your blog these past few days--WITH A NEWBORN! Go you!! I can't wait to hear how it's going with three kids. The idea of three still terrifies me to pieces, so I'm hoping to watch & learn from you. :)
So glad you made it back from Utah, your epidural worked, things went smoothly and relatively quickly, and baby Aaron is safely here! Nice to see you back in the blogging world. Hope things are going as well as they look!
I'm one that LOVES the birth stories, so thanks for sharing! :) so glad he is healthy and you are healthy and seem to be doing well!
Oh I hope it is faster the 3rd time for me too. My labors have been 15 and 17 hours. I'd love a quick one! Lol.
I also enjoy hearing birth stories and am so glad that this was a positive one!
Post a Comment