Monday, July 16, 2018

Aaron at 4.5

Aaron continues to be my unique little man. He wrapped up his year of speech through the school but will return in the fall. Lately he's been getting upset and frustrated whenever he's trying to talk and it's loud. It's like he can't get the words out unless its quiet and he can concentrate. Hopefully we can get him assessed soon and find out the best way to help him!

His new favorite activity is cutting things. He's constantly asking to help me cut things (cucumbers, apples, potatoes, etc.). I give him a duller knife and let him have at it. He hasn't chopped off any fingers yet, so I'm calling it a win.


His newest passion is drawing. In true Aaron form, he went from no drawing skills at all (he would cry when I asked him to draw letters or shapes) to sitting on the couch drawing for hours. And this transition happened in the course of one afternoon. He just sat down and started drawing and hasn't stopped since. 
Drawing Plants vs. Zombies on the white board

An Aaron drawing. The details amaze me. 

Yes, that is Avatar Aang.
We have Uncle Timmy to thank for this new obsession.

Along with the newfound love of drawing has come a love for writing. I try not to push writing too soon, but Aaron now insists. He wrote all these letters without any help from me. It's not perfect, but still impressive for a 4-year-old boy!

One night he insisted on sleeping on his floor. No padding: just straight on the carpet. When I asked him why, he said "I'm a floor man." He actually slept there the entire night!

In a similar vein, he'll announce that he's a "hard man" or an "easy man" depending on whether or not he thinks he can accomplish whatever task I need him to do. One day he called me an "easy woman" which had me in tears. 

Conversation with Timmy:
"Aaron, are these your toes?"
"Yes, cuz girls' toes are brown and boy toes are yellow-ish."
(Catherine, when asked what color her toes are: "Brown." Guess Aaron was right?)

He's starting to read simple three-letter words, which is fun! Can't believe he's almost 5!

3 comments:

Cathy Mikesell said...

"EASY" woman :D :D :D Aaron's brain is amazing!
He and his Weirich cousins can all cut together. So far no missing fingers there either. Makes me nervous though... I'm a helicopter grandma ;)

Cathy Mikesell said...

His penmanship is quite amazing. Some of the children I worked with didn't have that neat of printing until middle elementary years.

Kellie said...

Love the "hard man" and "easy man." Lots of fun!

But the "easy woman!" I can't stop giggling!