Monday, January 13, 2020

Adventures

In an attempt to get myself and the kids outside more often, I joined a local Wild + Free group to meet up for some hikes and outdoor activities. We've only managed to attend once due to schedules and napping Elijah, but it was quite the adventure...

We were late for the meetup and the group was actually leaving as we arrived. We decided to hike around a big by ourselves anyway. There was a short loop path on the map that I thought we would try. What I didn't realize is that the trail was poorly marked, so instead of a nice 1-2 mile hike, we ended up doing FOUR MILES. FOUR MILES by myself with five kids, one of whom kept either stopping to touch every plant and rock or rushing ahead and falling (cue tears). 
Four tired kids at the halfway point.

We thought there would be a place to play in the creek but there was a steep drop to the water with no safe way to enter. Boo. 

I was SO grateful I decided to give my new baby carrier a try for this hike. It has the most amazing back support, which I definitely needed after four miles of carrying this chunk:

These two (and Aaron, generally) loved rushing ahead and then sitting on the trail until Elise, Elijah & I approached. Then they'd dash off again:

By the time we made it out, we were all exhausted and it was starting to get dark. In the moment it was insane, but I'm still glad we did it!

We also hit up the Maryland Science Center for their homeschool classes. Aaron insisted on another bed of nails picture:

And, miracle of miracles, after years of watching her siblings, and then thinking about it, and then backing out at the last minute, Elise FINALLY braved the bed of nails!

They had this really cool wall where you posed against it while a light flashed. When you stepped away, you could see the "shadow" on the wall. We had a lot of fun playing with this one!

On our way into the Science Center I promised the kids we could eat lunch and play in the fountain on the way home. I'm still not 100% sure they were allowed to be running around in the water, but no one stopped us! They were all happy and soaked for the drive home. 

We also managed to sneak some time in at the Knoxes. Luke and Elise are great friends, and he wanted to take her for a ride. I snapped this picture and died laughing at their faces. I told Melissa this is foreshadowing of what's to come in about 12 years...

1 comments:

Cathy Mikesell said...

Elise & Luke - now that's a strong duo :D