Sunday, February 19, 2023

Ancestor Celebrations

I've been wanting to do something to help our kids feel more connected to their ancestors, but I wasn't quite sure how to do it. I finally decided to copy my friend Catherine, who would celebrate their birthdays with a treat that was significant in some way. I finally got my nonsense together and we decided to start in September (which ended up being kind of a doozy--six people had birthdays in September!). 

We read their life story, look at their pictures, and then enjoy some sort of food that reminds us of that person. Cherry cake was not a favorite, but honey cookies were. And we learned that ginger beer is supposed to be used as a mixer, not drunk straight from the bottle (it BURNS us!). Oops! I have loved getting to know ancestors that I didn't know (or know very well), plus I've loved getting to tell some of my stories about those that I remember. 

The hardest part has been collecting the information. Sometimes it's as easy as logging into FamilySearch and finding a life sketch to print out. But usually I have to dig through census records and birth certificates and photos to patch a story together. But it's like a mystery I get to solve! And I've gotten to connect with lots of family members who are helping me collect information. So all around it has been a wonderful experience. 
Celebrating Ruth Cornick Cox, Jessie Lucetta Cornick, and cousin Lance Weirich

Eating Sno-balls for Grandpa Bud's birthday.

 

Elijah enjoyed one the next evening, but it had to have a candle in it first. 

I'm grateful I finally managed to get everything sorted so we could make this work. We have been blessed with strong people in our family and I hope my kids will recognize and appreciate that strength.

0 comments: