Monday, February 25, 2008

A Momentous Occasion

First order of business--a picture of the front of the house. I'm not thrilled about the blue door and shutters, but I guess it can be considered "quaint." Second item--we officially felt the baby kick tonight! I've been feeling little kicks for about a week now, but they weren't strong enough to feel from outside my tummy. I was kind of sad that Jon couldn't feel them and was looking forward to when the kicks would be a little stronger (I was expecting another 2 or 3 weeks). But after dinner tonight the baby was going crazy and kicking me repeatedly in the same spot. I stuck my hand on the spot to try to calm him down, and felt a real kick! Luckily Jon was right there and got to feel a few kicks before he settled down.

I realize this may not seem like too big of a deal, but I think this is finally what made it real for me. Seeing him on the ultrasound was great, but it didn't really feel like he was actually IN there. It's kind of hard to explain... But once I felt that kick, it was just real. There's a real little boy inside of me, kicking up a storm. I think it's sweet right now, but I'm sure the magic will fade the first time he gets me in the ribs.

And now I have to go play Starcraft with Jon.

8 comments:

Christine said...

That's so exciting to feel the first "outside kick". Now just wait till you can see the outline of feet pushing out, seriously you'll think he's gonna try to get out through your belly button. Fun times. :) Plus the house looks way cute. Any word on if you'll be able to make it to the temple? If not don't sweat it, we can meet up later.

Joey, Amber, Ken , Ellie, Bruce and Patrick said...

I think it's a good look. That color of brick is a timeless classic. Congrats!

Spencer said...

Too bad about the blue door. Purple or Red doors are much better. Yoroko wants a pink door for her house.

Holly said...

That is so exciting! I can't even imagine the feeling of a baby kicking from INSIDE of you, but I bet it's amazing! And your house looks cute! How fun!

Ali said...

How appropriate that it is "blue" considering your expecting a boy. I think it fits!

I totally agree that feeling your baby move is an exciting step and makes it seem more "real"... that's great Jon was there to experience it too! You never know, you may luck out on the rib kickage - Eliza nailed me a few times, but our baby boy never has.

Megan Turnidge said...

Yay! Baby kicks are a BIG deal and sooo exciting! It took forever for Tyrel to feel Allie's kicks bceause she usually stopped kicking right when Tyrel put his hand on my belly. Haha!

Jen Bowen said...

Getting kicked by the baby is nice at this stage. He can't kick hard enough that it hurts yet (My mom had her ribs bruised by my older brother once he was upside-down because he never stopped kicking). I think it's comforting when the baby kicks because then I know he's alive and going strong inside me. That's exciting that Jon got to feel. Derrick's tried before but so far the baby hasn't been consistent enough for him to catch. Good luck with getting everything ready for the move!

Adrian said...

Yay! Baby movement! How fun! After Yoroko was born I missed feeling her inside me. Hope your baby isn't one who likes to stretch.

Julie B. Beck lesson in RS/Priesthood last week...Jessica Peterson told us all that that talk was the reason she and her husband decided to get pregnant. Did it influence your decision? Did you have a burning desire to demonstrate that you are a WOMAN WHO KNOWS? Spencer says no, but I was thinking the timing was such that it might have. The lesson provoked long discussion at our house about what it means if you don't do all the things that she says. Does that mean that I'm a woman who doesn't know? After I told Spencer that she was called directly from the YW Gen Pres into RS Gen Pres he said, "Her talk is full of things that you tell young women to encourage them to toe the line." So maybe she was just thinking of us all as being 18 or younger. Spencer said that he had to cope with a bunch of sexist comments in EQ that implied that education is wasted on women, because women who know stay home with the kids and are dumb homemakers. You know the stereotype. Arrrgh. I don't think I've ever been so riled by a Gen Conf talk. And it's not like I even disagreed with the gist of most of what she said!

We miss you. I think about you every time we get out the ketchup.