Would anyone like to share any book recommendations with me? I'm desperate for something GOOD to read. (And Jon could use one, too).
Just for reference:
I just read Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (I think). And yes, I did enjoy it.
I'm currently reading Guns, Germs, and Steel and The World is Flat. Both are fabulous so far.
Jon enjoyed Dune, A Piece of the Action: How the Middle Class Joined the Money Class, and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
Please be aware that I am a hopeless book snob. I guess it comes with the English major.
I'm particularly interested in reading something written fairly recently, so if you have any recommendations there, let me know.
Thanks!
Saturday, February 2, 2008
Fishing for a good read
at 5:34 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Have you read The Kite Runner? If you're uber-sensitive, I wouldn't recommend it, but it was very interesting.
Book suggestions by my mother (who is also a book snob):
The Kite Runner
Peace Like a River
The Glass Castle
All written fairly recently.
I also HIGHLY recommend Life of Pi. It's an amazing book.
Um, "What to expect while you're expecting"??
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. She's very good, not sure if you'd like her, but I really liked that book.
ooops... did I just comment twice in a row? I don't know. Sorry.
Not to knock Alisse T, but I didn't like What to Expect when you're expecting. I DEFINITELY didn't buy it. It just stressed me out.
Same with developmental books. Every baby goes at their own pace, and if yours doesn't roll over the "second" they're supposed to, you will be up all night with worry. Knowing what you know about the challenges that we've faced with HAL, I feel that I'm somewhat qualified to speak on such a thing. :o)
The Bean Tree by Barbara Kingsolver is also great.
Although I'm beginning to think that we have different tastes in reading. I didn't like either The Kite Runner or The World is Flat. I found the latter to be full of stories with no actual research to back up his conclusions. And his conclusions are so, I don't know, so already concluded by so many other people that it's not like they're news. But maybe that's because we subscribe to Business Week and Fortune.
HOWEVER! I felt the same way about a book called Blink by Malcolm Gladwell, so maybe you'd like that. He also wrote a similar book called The Tipping Point. And doesn't The Kite Runner author have a second book out? Spencer enjoyed reading a book called Freakonomics by Stephen someone.
I think the book I suggested was Accelerando by Charles Stross. It might not be a book to read while pregnant though depends on how the hormones take you.
Adrian pipes in to state that she recently read and like Operating Instructions by Anne Someone.
Oh! Another book that I enjoyed immensely was Amnesia Moon by Johnathon Lethem. It is a road novel of marvelous style and complexity.
For light reading Adrian and I can both suggest Donna Andrews book Murder with Peacocks.
The Kite Runner is not one for sensitive minds, but The Glass Castle is DEFINITELY not one for sensitive minds, since it is real life. It does leave you with some very intense emotions, however. I've come to realize that I like being forced out of my comfort zone. That's all I seem to read lately.
Post a Comment