Monday, December 3, 2012

Halloween II

Since we didn't lose power during Sandy, we figured we might as well carve the pumpkins we got at the farm. This was serious business this year. Seth found a book at the library about pumpkin carving that he INSISTED we check out. All three of our pumpkins were from designs in the book.

First, Seth's puking pumpkin:
He was SO proud of that thing.

Catherine also carved a pumpkin.
All by herself: 

Okay, maybe not. 
But she made some decent holes in it.

This was her skeleton pumpkin: 
There's actually a really cute story for this one. Catherine LOVES, LOVES, LOVES pumpkins, including all books featuring pumpkins. Which meant the pumpkin carving book was a HUGE hit. As I was getting everything set up to carve, Catherine came toddling up with the carving book open to the skeleton page. I thought it was a cute fluke and told her we'd carve it. But then she brought it to me over and over and over again, always pointing at that page. So I carved it for her and she was THRILLED. I caught her comparing her pumpkin to the one in the book.

 Catherine's pumpkin, Seth's pumpkin, and my pumpkin (mine was a witch)

Seriously.
She loved that thing.

A few days later (after we determined that Halloween was still happening despite Hurricane Sandy), it was off the to Knoxes for trick or treating! We had yummy soup and chili together before we headed out.

Okay, the ADULTS had soup and chili. 
My kids found the candy stash and had suckers for dinner: 
The Golden Idol

The Hovitos Native

 A very blurry picture of the trick-or-treaters (they were too darn excited to hold still).
Susan from Narnia, Golden Idol, Hovitos, a knight, La-La-Loopsy, and Edgar Allen Poe

The Bloods, all ready to go:
And to answer your question: No, I did not wear my giant boulder costume. 
I would have been knocking kids off the sidewalk.

The kids all lasted MUCH longer than I thought they would. Seth and Emma ran ahead of everyone, with Seth announcing "I'm a INDIAN!" at every door. Catherine insisted on carrying her own bag of candy at all times. At one point Jon tried to take her back early, and this is what we got: 
One tiny, determined Princess dragging her candy down the sidewalk by herself.

She was ALL. BUSINESS.

By some miracle the kids all decided they were done at the same time, so we headed back to the Knoxes for fudge, popcorn and a little bit of It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown! Then it was off to bath and bed for our little ones.

Catherine getting toasty by the fire

Thank you, Knoxes, for a great night! Let's do it again next year, okay?

1 comments:

Adrian said...

I love that story about Catherine and her pumpkin!