Monday, December 10, 2012

The Big Surprise

For probably a year now, we've been planning a big surprise for my parents. My youngest sister will head off to college sometime this year, leaving my parents as empty-nesters. And, since they haven't really vacationed alone together since their honeymoon, we figured they were WAY overdue for a second one.

And so we plotted, and planned, and finally pulled it all together to present to them at Thanksgiving:

Holding their present with absolutely no idea what's going on:

"Welcome to The Price is Right!"
(Kenna has some MAD scrapbooking skills)

"Let's see what you've won!" 

"A HAWAIIAN CRUISE!!!  CONGRATULATIONS!!!" 

(They're going to hate me for the next couple of pictures, but I just love them. 
I still get a little teary looking at them)

Apparently we did well. Really well: 

This may be the only time I've seen my dad cry besides on our wedding days.
Merry Christmas/Birthdays/Mother's/Father's Day!

We decided on Hawaii because I blew my mom's Hawaii trip almost 28 years ago. Her little brother Mike graduated from BYU-Hawaii and her parents flew the entire family to his graduation. But guess who was 8 months pregnant with me and couldn't go?  Sorry about that, Mom! Hope I made it up to you!  ;)

Catherine, how do you feel about all this? 

"Hoo-RAY!" 

This was probably my favorite Christmas gift ever.

3 comments:

AZ Mikesells said...

And you were whining about not having pictures of me - so attractive with my red bawling face :D
BIGGEST surprise ever! Overwhelming still.

Holly said...

How totally awesome. I hope someday we can do something like this for our families!!!

Adrian said...

Oh, that is so sweet! Good for you.