Tuesday, November 5, 2013

October Begins!

We kicked off the month with the traditional breakfast of ghost pancakes, which Seth helped make:
Let me mention here how much I hate pictures of myself after having a baby.
But I also want my son to know that I didn't completely ignore him when Aaron was born.
Just mostly.

Catherine's favorite activity: 
Playing on Grandma's phone while wearing her Lightning McQueen pajamas

Sneaking in some art/writing in the form of Halloween decorations:

Halloween pajamas from Grandma Cathy (they glow in the dark!): 

Aaron also got Halloween pajamas.
And was once again held by his big sister: 

My mom just thought this was so funny--all three of us on devices: 

And here we come to a picture that clearly illustrates the difference between mothers and fathers: 
What is this glorious picture, you ask? Well, first I have to set the scene:

Seth is currently in the middle of a mummy obsession. We've checked out just about every library book on the subject and read them all multiple times. I am now a mummy expert (a title I never thought I'd be claiming). So when Jon found out that the Maryland Science Center was hosting a mummy exhibit, I knew we had to get Seth there. We choked at the original price, but ended up getting super (SUPER) cheap tickets since October was Homeschooling Month at the Science Center. Score!

Anyway, since I didn't feel like hauling a newborn around, I sent Jon with Seth and my camera. My one request? Get a picture of Seth. I got the picture above. Next time I'll give better instructions: perhaps a picture of Seth with a mummy? Or next to a sign with a mummy? Or really anything that would show that Seth was there to see the mummies and not a giant yellow contraption? Actually, with Jon I'm grateful he took any pictures. He was not thrilled when I handed him my camera.

Back to the pictures!

Guess who will take a pacifier?
Can I get a "Hallelujah"? 

Also, Halloween shirts from Grandma Cathy: 



And the standard "Is my newborn sleeping, or contemplating the deep things of life?" picture: 

Followed by the standard "TOUCHDOWN!" picture: 

My kids' current favorite dessert--hot cocoa: 
This is an example of why you must be very, very careful with the things you do with your children. We gave Seth hot cocoa ONE TIME in a black mug with a crazy straw. We also made him drink it on the floor to prevent spills. And that ONE TIME was enough to establish a tradition which must never, ever vary in the slightest.  
One time, we tried to go on a field trip to a pumpkin patch.
Then there was torrential wind, rain, and a tornado warning.
We decided to postpone, but had to snap a picture first:

It's never a good thing when your five-year-old asks, "How do you pester a baby?" 

More building blocks in the basement while Mommy catches up on sleep: 

And, lastly, Catherine's "bed", which she made by hauling her pillow and blanket down the stairs and depositing them at my feet on the kitchen floor. I'm having a hard time thinking of a less comfortable spot in our house she could have chosen to "sleep": 

3 comments:

Adrian said...

I love that story about the cocoa: when you didn't know you were setting a precedent. But Mom, we always do it this way! yes- the one other time we've done it we did it that way! Oh well, gotta have traditions.

Your kids are adorable in their Halloween gear.

Ashley Blood said...

The Baltimore Science Center is the best! Don't be hating on the yellow contraption. I've started at that thing for a full hour before.

Cathy Mikesell said...

Hopefully the drinking cocoa through the crazy straw while hanging upside down has not also become a tradition!