Friday, August 8, 2014

Seth Turns Six

Seth changed his mind about what he wanted for his birthday gift just about every thirty seconds. Finally, the day before his birthday, he announced that he wanted a fish. I pinned him down ("This is it--are you SURE you want a fish?") before beginning my research into Betta fish. 

Seth--Proud owner of Double Bar Jonathan Blood
(No idea where that name came from. Piano lessons is my best bet.)

Double Bar in all his glory. 
Castle selected by Seth. 

I love making cakes and my kids' birthdays are the only times I get to do it anymore. But I realized that Seth cares more about helping make his cake than he does about having a super-awesome cake that I make by myself. This year I gave him several options, and this is what he picked:
I covered a cake in white fondant and gave him food coloring to paint with.
He decorated his own cake this year and was very happy with the whole thing.
First he told me it was a fish in a bowl.
Then he told everyone else it was a bench in a park with a balloon.

Catherine painting a piece of fondant.
No way she's missing out on the fun.

I did get to make his friend's cake (we did a party together), so that was fun.

Seth & Peter had great fun combining their parties together. We went to the bowling alley on APG and let the kids have at it. Blacklight bowling was a HUGE hit. 
Aaron gets to hang out with Dave while I made sure the kids weren't throwing bowling balls at each other.
Dave does this in nursery every week--he's a pro.

Catherine LOVED bowling. She asks to go back about once a week.

Seth also loved bowling.
He allegedly got a strike, but neither Jon nor I were there to confirm.

Little Mermaid bows on your arms help your focus while bowling.

Nice form, Seth!

Blacklight Catherine

Plaid blacklight Seth

Party people #1

Party people #2

I think the candle placement actually adds to the cake. 
Done, of course, by Seth.

SOSOSOSOSOSOSOSO EXCITED FOR CAKE AND BIRTHDAY!

All blown out.

Aaron likes ice cream. And cake. Surprise, surprise.

Skyping with Grandpa & Grandma Mikesell while he opens their gifts.

He was, of course, very spoiled. His favorite gifts this year were Legos (even though he got two or three of the same set--"Now I can build all three at once and race them!"). Happy 6th Birthday, my Seth!

1 comments:

Cathy Mikesell said...

Dad highly approves of both cakes!