Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Swim Lesson Saga

Last year I spent all of my time during Seth's swimming lessons explaining to Catherine why she couldn't get in the pool. Rather than go through that again, I signed both kids up this year. 

I wasn't sure how Seth would do. He worked hard last year but really struggled with putting his head under the water. He was determined to do better this year. Possible because I bribed him with a full-sized Toypedo if he did.

Catherine...my sassy Catherine. I had a bit of a dilemma with her. Do I put her in the Level 1 class, which is in the baby pool and below her level? Or in Level 2, which is a pretty big stretch that would require her to swim with her head under the water across half the pool (why there is nothing in between is a great, unanswered question)?  I decided to opt for Level 2, thinking that putting her in with Seth would be a great help, and that she would at least glean a few things from the lessons.
Big. Fat. Mistake. It could have worked, with a different teacher. Sadly, the Level 2 teachers would have made excellent boot camp instructors. Smiling was clearly not something they enjoyed. Nor was working with small children. There were no carrots in Level 2, just sticks.

Catherine learned this the hard way on Day 2 of lessons. Like her brother, she also hates putting her head under the water. She was being very brave and getting the rings off the steps of the pool. Her teacher then tried to get her to pull the rings off the bottom of the pool. Catherine was afraid. Instead of trying to encourage her or saying, "We'll try again later!", her teacher sat her on the side of the pool and told her she couldn't get back in until she put her head under the water.

Well, that kind of encouragement worked spectacularly. After about five minutes of Catherine screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!" at her teacher, I decided this class was just not going to work out. It took about 15 seconds with the amazing Level 1 teacher for Catherine to fall in love. Miss Megan is still her favorite person in the world, a month after lessons ended

Aaron was mostly content to just sit, watch & eat. About 30 minutes into each lesson he'd start whining in hopes I'd take him swimming. Poor third child.

After two weeks of lessons every day, it was finally the last day! Aaron ate in celebration: 
(those squeezy applesauces are the best invention of the decade)

My little boy turned into quite a fish.
He passed his class with flying colors.
We're very proud of him--it didn't come naturally for him. 

Princess LOVED her class.
She made sure every morning on the drive to lessons that I would be sending her to Miss Megan's class and not to Seth's class. "I don't like Seth's class." 

And Aaron ate some more: 

Princess Ballerina Fish: 

Dorky Goggle Fish: 

To celebrate their hard work, the entire family went to Broom's Bloom for lunch. Catherine and I agree that their crab soup is simply the best thing in the entire world. Although I didn't like it enough to decorate my oufit with it: 

And Aaron ate again: 

And Catherine snapped pictures to document the occasion: 

The kids are already looking forward to lessons next summer.
I'm crossing my fingers that Miss Megan is still teaching, otherwise Catherine may never take another swim lesson for the rest of her life...

1 comments:

Cathy Mikesell said...

Hope now that swimming lessons are over, you emailed about the 'boot camp' teachers!
Your hair grows fast!