Sunday, December 6, 2020

Pumpkin Carving

I bought pumpkins in early October. We didn't even touch them, but they completely rotted on our front porch. So...I bought pumpkins again and we got to carving! I even bought some legit carving tools this year instead of sticking with the usual cheap ones that we always break. The kids (Catherine especially) had a great time trying out all the different carving tools.
(Seth is in the background looking for patterns online)

Catherine's pumpkin #1:


Seth's design: The Cyborg


Aaron's pumpkin: Plants vs Zombies zombie:
I particularly like how Aaron's eyebrows and hairline both have this nice wave pattern going on.


Elise's pumpkin: Avatar Aang
(that face...)


My pumpkin: The Corona


Catherine's pumpkin #2: The Skull


All the pumpkin seeds!
As we pulled out the pumpkin seeds to roast, Catherine asked how many seeds I thought we had. What's that you say? A math lesson on estimation?? Check and check! We each took a guess, then I had Jon help her come up with a fairly accurate way to determine how many seeds we have. They weighed ten pumpkin seeds, then weighed the entire bowl to see how many we had. The total ended up around 2700! More than double the highest guess! Jon said we'd never eat them all, but we proved him wrong (mostly thanks to Aaron, who ate probably half of them single-handedly). 

1 comments:

Cathy Mikesell said...

Love the math lesson :) Impressive pumpkin skills!