Friday, December 1, 2023

Camping + Luray

Aaron asked to study geology for his science. Rocks, volcanoes, earthquakes, all that kind of fascinating stuff. So when I found out about homeschool days at Luray Caverns in Virginia, I persuaded Jon that we should go (it's half price entry, totally worth it). The only issue is that it's a three hour drive to the caverns, which is a bit much for a day trip. And so, since we are now professional campers, we opted to drive down, camp, then do the caverns the next day.  
Setting up the tent.
Don't miss the actual farm in the background.
The sheep were fine.
The roosters were not so much fun the next morning. 

It was mid-March, so it was chilly. Thankfully we had prepared well and no one got super cold. What we were not prepared for was the car full of 19-20 year old guys who rolled in around 11 pm and proceeded to play music, shine lights, and generally be very loud (and kind of vulgar) until 2 or 3 am. My calls to the camp owner went to voicemail. My casual walking right past them and then sitting at the table staring at them at one am had no effect (I'm pretty sure they were drunk). Not cool at all. All I could do was hope that the roosters woke them up before dawn as well. And I did not shush my kids at all in the morning like I usually do. Pretty sure they were too hung over to care. Why is the worst part of camping always the other people?

Thankfully Jon and the kids slept through more of it than I did, so we were up and ready to go early the next morning. It was even cool enough that Jon let them build a fire before breakfast:
Happy fire Catherine

My little band of pyros.

Our campsite was right outside Shenandoah National Park, so we took some pictures:
The big three

Lady Elise (Elijah was not cooperating)
I'm sure Shenandoah is way more stunning when there are leaves on the trees...

And then it was on to Luray Caverns! I have visited many caves in my life, so I wasn't expecting anything too different from the norm. I was SO WRONG. This cave was incredible! Just jam packed with so many amazing things to see, everywhere you looked. Totally worth the driving and the horrible night's sleep. 
Catherine and the reflecting pool.

Seth approves of this cave.

Elise needed a solo shot with some cool formations.

Kids in the cave.
Apparently people have weddings in this spot.
Weird, but also kinda cool.

Catherine with more cool formations. 

There's also a really cool organ that plays music by hitting tiny hammers on some of the stalactites.  Jon asked the tour guide if I could play it since I'm an organist, but it's all automated now. Still super cool to get to hear! 

Our kids loved the cave, and loved the cool gift shop even more. I was a sucker myself for rocks at gift shops as a kid, so I can't blame them. Definitely worth all the effort! 

0 comments: