Sunday, December 10, 2023

Coal Mining Adventure

We decided to visit Daniel & Wendy over Memorial Day weekend. And since Aaron has been studying geology in science, I was curious if there were any coal mines we could tour. Turns out there was one that was actually on the way! And so we loaded everyone up and headed to Lackawanna Coal Mine!

This was a huge and very productive mine up until 1966. While we were waiting for the tour to start, the kids explored the area around the mine entrance and were thrilled to find little bits of coal all over the place:
Showing their coal treasures

Sometimes coal can turn you into an infamous dictator

Elise's large collection.
She was very disappointed that we wouldn't let her bring it all home.

Super stylish in our hardhats

We got to ride in a mine cart down into the shaft. I was grateful I had listened to the advice to have everyone bring jackets. It was CHILLY down there. And wet. 

Our tour guide was phenomenal. I was worried we'd get some dry old guy who'd recite a bunch of dates and figures to us, but this was clearly a very well organized tour that was meant to be interesting for all sorts of groups. 

Aaron ringing the old telephone

Investigating some huge coal chunks

They also had these really lifelike, creepy mannequins in the mine.
They were great visual reminders of how dangerous, dark & dirty working in a coal mine was.

Riding in the car, back out of the mine.
It was very squished:

Aaron with his coal mining certificate and a chunk of coal:

This was a fantastic experience. Highly recommended. It was especially poignant once I remembered that some of my ancestors were miners. I'm very grateful that our family doesn't have to depend on mining to survive. 

0 comments: