Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Ugly Sweaters and Christmas Eve

The morning began with me sending out a warning text to all family members that vomit had happened (we kept Elise in our room and she vomited a few times in the night). We offered to keep her contained in our room, but they all said not to bother. It was probably futile anyway. We also opted out of attending church so as to not share the plague. We did watch our meeting virtually since one of my former YW was giving her mission farewell.

And so we proceeded with our Christmas Eve plans. Because the Kofords are party people, we had loads of fun things planned for Christmas Eve. First was our ugly sweater (or ugly t-shirt) party. I had SO much fun finding the perfect shirts for everyone in my family.  
The ugly sweater Mikesells

Ugly sweater Blood children

Elise's Merry Swiftmas shirt was definitely one of my favorites:
Taylor Swift on a giant Santa cat!

But Aaron's was also AMAZING:
I have been wanting to buy him this shirt for years.

And, of course, Elijah had a Minecraft shirt:

Catherine was SOOOOO cooperative for pictures:

"My mother is so ridiculous":

Slowly melting into a Catherine puddle:

A slightly smiling puddle?

Finally got a decent pose!
Sleigh girl, sleigh.

Seth got a super nerdy programming shirt:

I have never had a shirt speak to my soul so deeply:
I am never, NEVER, home alone.

Jon's was the hardest, but when I found it I just knew it was perfect:
This scene from A Christmas Story made Dad Blood laugh until he cried every time.
He served his mission in Japan and apparently the restaurant scene was spot on.

We are a happy family!
Catherine was only mostly compelled to be in this photo.

Still time for a relaxing game of Monopoly.
Or some TV watching.

This picture makes me so happy. Aaron always seems to struggle to find his people. He has lots of friends, but he's usually kind of on the periphery. But not with his cousins. I was so happy when I heard the pack of little boys stop whatever crazy game they were playing and say, "Wait! We need to find Aaron!" Things like this make me want to move closer to family. 

Decorating ugly sweater cookies:

All the ugly sweaters:
We voted on the winners but I forgot who actually won.
Except for the well-endowed sweater made unintentionally by a child.
I remember that one. It totally won.

Family game of Christmas charades:

Family game of 'carry your sister up the slippery wood stairs':

And then it was time for the traditional Christmas Eve Nativity presentation!
The donkey (Aaron) carefully carried Mary (Audrey) to Bethlehem.

The angel (Elise) uses the conveniently placed balcony over the family room 
to make her announcement to the shepherds:
(Who has an indoor balcony?)

All the Mikesell grandkids/Nativity participants:
Notice Aaron still in character as the donkey. 

Once all the younger ones were in bed, it was time for Christmas trivia!
Marah was not pleased to be facing off with Jon.

I hereby nominate Kofords for the planning of all future family get-togethers.
I had SO much fun!

Then it was off to bed so Santa could come.

0 comments: