Our new house isn't far from our old house. Maybe a seven minute drive. But that's far enough to put us in a different neighborhood, different school, different ward. So while we weren't really leaving, we still had some difficult goodbyes.
We didn't love the townhome life. Living in close quarters can make things really irritating. But we loved the woods behind our house. This was the first year the kids were old enough to really explore them, and they loved romping around back there. There is something to be said about playing in the woods. Our new place had no woods anywhere near, so we had to say our goodbyes:
Every house should back to woods
One of the few benefits of living near so many people is the improved chances for neighbor friends. Our kids loved roaming with their friends through the cul-de-sac. There was always someone to play with. Our new house has many older families with kids in middle & high school. The ones with younger kids are either dual-income (so kids have pre- and post-school care), or have crazy helicopter parents. We miss our neighbor friends.
The hardest goodbye was the ward. We've lived in Winter's Run ward since we arrived in Maryland seven years ago. It has been one of those rare, wonderful wards where everything just works. They have been our family here. When they split our ward in January, it was devastating. We remained in Winter's Run, but many of our good friends were now in the new ward, Bynum Run. I was really hoping we would be able to stay in the ward, but apparently it wasn't meant to be. While we love Bynum Run and our friends there, I feel like half my family is missing every Sunday.
Last ward activity: soup & pie, followed by a Girls' Camp fundraiser auction.
Aaron was in heaven: being fed cookies by Emma & Sami, who adore him:
Sunday was my hardest goodbye. I've been lucky enough to be Primary chorister for 4.5 years, and I've loved it. Being in Primary is simply the best. I thought I would be ready to be released (that is a LONG time to be in one calling), but I really struggled. They let me lead my last Sunday in the ward, even though I'd been released. I managed to hold it together until they brought in all the kids (including many of the now-youth that I had taught) and had them sing my favorite song, Gethsemane. I bawled through the entire thing. I still miss those kids and my friends in Primary desperately. I had to avoid Primary the first few weeks in the new ward because I'd catch myself crying. Seriously, best calling ever.
My card with pictures of the 2014 Primary.
They all signed it for me.
I also got a candy lei and a beautiful lei made by my friend Stephanie.
I seriously hate goodbyes.






1 comments:
Goodbyes and change - I don't do well with either, especially when it involves leaving a calling you love.
Post a Comment