Aaron my best friend,
I feel like I use the word 'unique' too often to describe you. But it really is a very accurate description! You just see and interact with the world in a way that is all your own. You frequently make us laugh with your Aaron ways. Such as when you were told to button your shirt while we drove to church:
The inputs given were:
1) always put on your seatbelt as soon as you get in the car
2) button your shirt while we drive
The program was executed perfectly according to the inputs given.
The slight bug in the system was noted and will be eliminated before next time.
We frequently joke that you are basically a computer program. Once you are told to do a thing, you just do it. Every single time. Put your shoes away when we get home. Hang up your coat. Clear your spot after dinner. Say your prayers. You really are amazing. But it sure does throw you off if we ever have to slightly alter the rules for specific occasions ("But it's Tuesday. On Tuesdays we have piano lessons. Why are we not having piano lessons?").
You still live for screens and would absolutely play on them 100% of the time if we let you. I've never seen you get bored and put down your screens. Ever. But when we kick you off, you love to play made-up war games in the basement with Seth. You also have started hacking small branches and pine cones into pieces with a hand shovel on our driveway. Based off the explosion noises I'm guessing this is also some kind of made up war game.
Stats at age 8: 49 lbs (14%), 4 ft. 2 in. (42%).
Math is still your thing. You're quite proud to be doing 4th grade math despite being in second grade. I'm still really impressed with how naturally you manipulate numbers in your head. Sometimes Dad likes to ask math questions to you and Catherine just to see who gets the answer first. It's about 50/50 depending on the topic. But occasionally you'll beat me to the answer, which is awesome and kind of terrifying.
You're a little bit obsessed with rubbing and sniffing Elijah's hair. It's totally weird but I can't get you to stop. I blame Seth.
Seth is your best friend and your worst tormentor. You love to play with him, but he sure enjoys making you scream in frustration. Elise is your other worst pesterer, but that's not happening nearly so often now that she's in school all day. You're already mourning for next school year when Seth will go to high school and you'll have no one to play games with during the school day.
You still hate work and will often collapse into a crying ball of Aaron if we ask you to sort the laundry or clean a super messy room. You do better if you have someone to work alongside you, but that's not always an option.
Also, you've recently started to fall asleep like this:
Totally wrapped up in your sheet like a mummy.
Dad will have to come in and pull it off your face every night.
You are my calm in the middle of the craziness. I'm so grateful to have my Aaron best friend. Don't grow up too fast.
Love, Mom
Aaron's Eight Year Old Interview
(soon to be forthcoming since I apparently forgot to do it and now it's January)
This was kind of a rough interview. First, he was hungry because he always forgets to eat breakfasts on Saturdays or other days without our set morning routine. Second, Catherine and Elise were sitting behind me watching him and being generally obnoxious, which didn't help.
What's your favorite color?
"Red, because it's the color of blood and fire." (Totally not creepy at all).
What's your favorite food?
"Do, like, treats count? Or is it just food? Okay, then creme brulee."
Who's your best friend?
(Stares at me while grinning).
I'm your best friend because you're my best friend?
"Yep."
Anybody else who's your best friend?
"Hmm...Probably Kyle or Kiliohu."
What's your favorite movie?
"Maybe Encanto?" (We just watched it last night).
What's your favorite toy?
"Screens."
What about not screens?
"Blocks and Lincoln Logs."
What's your favorite game to play NOT on screens?
"Rat-a-Tat Cat, Skip-Bo, and maybe Sleeping Queens?"
What's your favorite game to play on electronics?
"Roblox."
What's your favorite snack?
"Cheese cookies." (Cheddar rice cakes).
What's your favorite animal?
"A dog, because they're cute."
What do you want to be when you grow up?
"A father, so I can have children."
What's your favorite song?
"Probably...ugh. I have LOTS of favorite songs."
Pick one that you like.
"Time Machine, I guess?"
What's your favorite show to watch?
(After clarifying that Avengers is not a show) "Yeah, Hawkeye."
What's your favorite Primary song?
"I like them, just basically all the same."
Tell me one that you like.
"Okay, I'll just pick a random one. Child of God."
What's your favorite book?
(Longest pause in eternity).
What do you like to read?
"Do comic books count?"
Yes. What kind of comic book?
(Another long pause)
"Umm...hmmm..."
(long pause again)
All right. We're going to go to the next question. This is taking too long.
What do you like to learn about in school?
"Hmm?"
What do you like to learn about in school?
"Umm...song. Piano songs."
Anything else you'd like to say?
"That I'm hungry."
0 comments:
Post a Comment