School looked a little bit different for our family this year. We love homeschooling and we love the community we've built with our homeschooling friends. But Covid really threw all our plans for a loop. All our co-ops, field trips, activities? Nothing. Honestly, I didn't mind the slower pace. But some of my kids needed that social interaction more regularly. It was when Elise said to me, "I'm tired of playing with my invisible friends" that I knew she needed more than I could provide right now. And so, we registered her for kindergarten at Fountain Green!
Tiny Elise starts kindergarten
Masked kindergarten.
They wear these things all day without complaint. Amazing.
Also, please note her first day of school outfit. It's kind of hard to tell because of the purple jacket, but yes. It's definitely the eternally-worn-and-loved Madonna Halloween costume dress/shirt. I love this girl.
Parents got to attend the first day of school (it was actually just a very short partial day due to Covid). Elise was a bit nervous, but school just fits her perfectly. I'm so grateful she has a wonderful teacher and a great school to attend.
Working hard on her assignment
I love this little Elise Stew
The next day was a big step: riding the bus by herself:
I both loathe and adore the kindergarten bus rider hat.
They always look so tiny with their giant backpacks getting on a giant bus:
I will not lie and say that I didn't get a little teary watching her leave. I really love having my kids at home. I miss Elise. But this is what she wants and needs. I'm especially grateful to our sweet neighbor, Wyatt, who was her bus buddy for the first little while until she felt more comfortable.
Elise had an entire greeting committee waiting for her when she got off the bus. And yes, Aaron is still in pajamas. Homeschooling perks.
School has been an unadulterated joy for Elise. She pops out of bed every morning and immediately gets dressed with excitement. She cries on the weekends because she can't go to school. I'm so happy that she's so happy!
As for the rest of us? We started our fifth straight year of homeschooling. Giant Seth with giant hair started 8th grade. Only one more year until high school. What. Is. Happening.
He wanted a picture of him coding since that's his activity of choice right now.
Aaron is starting 2nd grade (but 4th grade math, as he tells everyone):
He wanted a picture standing in the middle of the street because...I have no idea.
Elijah is starting yet another year as a toddler terror.
Homeschooling with a toddler is literally the worst.
Good thing he's super cute.
Catherine is starting 5th grade.
One more year until middle school (!!!!)
She wanted a picture of her throwing water.
Done.
A slightly more normal picture with an insect of some kind.
I love that she still loves bugs!
I feel a little more pulled in various directions with one kid in public school, two kids who are in a co-op (Aaron and Catherine) and one who is basically doing everything on his own (Seth). Plus Elijah, who demands a lot. But I have big hopes for an awesome year for all of us!
0 comments:
Post a Comment