Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Calvert Cliffs

Ever since I found out that Calvert Cliffs existed, I have wanted to go. But it's a bit of a hike to get to the cliffs, and strollers are not allowed. Since we've always had some kind of baby or two to haul, it's never been an option. Until now! 

We had the best tour guides ever: Ashley and her dad, who frequented this place when Ashley was little. They all the secret knowledge and all the cool sieves requisite for true fossil hunting. I am so glad my first trip was with the Johnsons!   

Aaron and Elliot, reunited at last.
There were numbers and made up game stats flying around immediately.

After a long-ish walk through the woods/marsh, we made it to the beach!
Let the fossil hunting begin!

Sadly, we had only been in the water for a few minutes before the attack began: jellyfish. Everywhere. Elise was one of the first casualties, with a nasty sting all around her arm. Being ignorant, I just grabbed the stingers and pulled them off. Miraculously I didn't end up getting stung with that stunt. I did, however, get stung on the back of the knee after stupidly venturing back in the water. 

Elise's burn (kinda hard to see, on her upper arm)

Burn marks, post-bath.
Pretty nasty looking, although she said they didn't hurt anymore.

After that we kept to the shore, but even that wasn't enough. I had Elijah playing in a little puddle by the shore when a rogue wave lapped at our legs. Apparently there was a jellyfish there as well. Poor little guy was very unhappy. 

But despite all the jellyfish nastiness, we did find lots of tiny shark teeth and got to spend a lovely day with family and friends. Of course the adventure couldn't end there. We had to hike back to the vehicles in a literal downpour. Then the Knoxes' van broke down about 30 minutes into the drive home. It ended up being a good thing--better to break down now than a few days later when they were on their way to North Carolina to stay at a beach house with us...

Thanks for another great adventure, Ashley the Blood!

0 comments: